Adjusting Status to Permanent Resident (Form I-485)

  1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Adjusting Status to Permanent Resident (Form I-485)

What is an I-94 arrival/departure record?

The I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, also known as Form I-94, confirms that a foreign visitor has been lawfully admitted (or paroled) into the United States. It also includes information about the visitor's visa status and permitted duration of stay.

Where can I find my Alien Registration Number?

Also known as an A-Number, your Alien Registration Number is an 8 or 9 digit number that can be found on a variety of documents from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or the former INS.

I have a K-1 fiancé visa. How do I adjust status?

To adjust status as a K-1 fiancé, it’s very important that you marry your U.S. citizen fiancé within 90 days of entering the United States and submit a carefully prepared I-485 adjustment of status packet.

Can I travel before my Form I-485 is approved?

Generally, Adjustment of Status applicants who want to travel before Form I-485 is approved must obtain an advance parole document first. Without advance parole, the applicant may not be able to return to the United States and the I-485 will be abandoned.

Should I include children on Form I-485?

When preparing an Adjustment of Status application it's necessary to list children on Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. But each child will need to have a separate I-485 applications if they are immigrating with you.

How much does it cost to adjust status with Form I-485?

The cost to adjust status to permanent resident (green card holder) includes several USCIS forms. Additionally, there may be a medical exam and travel expenses that go beyond the cost of filing Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status.

How do I attach additional information to my Form I-485?

In many cases you may have more information than can fit into the standard space provided on Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This is especially common for address history and employment history.