What if I have no evidence of my lawful entry?

  1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Adjusting Status to Permanent Resident (Form I-485)
  4. What if I have no evidence of my lawful entry?

no evidence of lawful entry for I-485Generally, when filing Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status, you’ll need to prove that you had a lawful entry to the United States. Lawful entry means that you were admitted or paroled into the United States. For most people, this means that you entered the United States with valid documentation and made face to face contact with a U.S. immigration officer and that officer acknowledged your entry to the United States. Typically, this happens at a port of entry (airports, seaports, etc.) when you share your passport and visa.

The evidence of your lawful entry must be related to your most recent entry to the U.S. Most adjustment of status applicants will submit at least one of the following documents:

  • Passport page with admission or parole stamp (issued by a U.S. immigration officer)
  • Passport page with nonimmigrant visa
  • Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record

However, there are situations that the above documents are not available. So what do you do when you have no evidence of a lawful entry?

No Evidence of a Lawful Entry Available

Some people had a lawful entry but are unable to produce one of the above documents. For example, visitors may be “waved” across while in their cars at some border entries. This counts as a lawful entry as long as you had the proper documentation (e.g. Visa Waiver Program or valid visa). If you entered with a valid visa, but that visa has since expired, you still had a lawful entry.

Individuals admitted under the Visa Waiver Program are generally ineligible to adjust status. INA section 245(c)(4) renders aliens admitted under the VWP ineligible to adjust status to that of a person admitted for permanent residence. This provision, however, includes an exception for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. Therefore, immediate relatives (i.e. spouses, unmarried children under 21 and parents of U.S. citizens) may adjust status to permanent resident through a Visa Waiver Program entry.

When filing Form I-485, the applicant should submit (1) a photocopy of the passport page that was valid at the time of entry; and (2) a personal declaration that the person entered through a lawful entry. The personal declaration might read like:

I, John Doe, came to the United States on June 15, 2015 and entered through the port of entry at Buffalo, New York. When I entered the United States, the immigration officer “waved” me across while I was inside my vehicle.

Did you know minor mistakes on your Form I-485 application can cause costly delays and rejections? Prepare your I-485 quickly and correctly with CitizenPath. The attorney-reviewed software guides you through the application and provides help to answer questions like this one. And personalized filing instructions help you to file your application today knowing that you did everything right! No credit card or signup required to try it. Get started now >>

Evidence of Lawful Entry Not Required in Some Cases

Provisions in the law make exceptions for certain individuals. Those who are filing Form I-485 on the basis of asylum, VAWA self-petitioner, or special immigrant juvenile, do not need to submit documentation of inspection and admission or parole if it is not available. If you are in one of these classes, no evidence of a lawful entry is required to adjust status.

Unlawful Entry

If you entered the United States through an unlawful entry, you face a more challenging path to a green card. Generally, those who entered without inspection cannot adjust status. This is a common scenario faced by many undocumented immigrants who marry a U.S. citizen. It is possible to become a permanent resident (green card holder), but the path is more complex. You’ll need to use consular processing and request a provisional unlawful presence waiver. If this is your situation, we recommend that you seek the guidance of an immigration attorney.

Source: USCIS