Citizenship Resource Center
When you’re ready to prepare the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, CitizenPath will guide you through the application using simple instructions and explanations. Get started now. If you’e not ready, download Become a U.S. Citizen – a free ebook for permanent residents to become U.S. citizens through naturalization.
Prepare USCIS Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, with simple step-by-step instructions in about 40 minutes.>
Use CitizenPath’s online application to quickly check your eligibility to naturalize as a U.S. citizen.>
Overview of eligibility requirements for naturalization after 5 years
Overview of eligibility requirements for naturalization after 3 years
Overview of eligibility requirements for naturalization for U.S. service members
Get an overview of the four fundamental ways to become a U.S. citizen
Be aware of the continuous residence and physical presence requirements
Learn what to expect after filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
Learn what happens at the interview and materials to prepare
Benefits of U.S. Citizenship
The Constitution and laws of the United States give many rights to both citizens and non-citizens living in the United States. However, some rights are only for citizens, such as:
- Voting. Only U.S. citizens can vote in Federal elections. Most States also restrict the right to vote, in most elections, to U.S. citizens.
- Bringing family members to the United States. Citizens generally get priority when petitioning to bring family members permanently to this country.
- Obtaining citizenship for children born abroad. In most cases, a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen is automatically a U.S. citizen.
- Traveling with a U.S. passport. A U.S. passport allows you to get assistance from the U.S. government when overseas.
- Becoming eligible for Federal jobs. Most jobs with government agencies require U.S. citizenship.
- Becoming an elected official. Many elected offices in this country require U.S. citizenship.
- Showing your patriotism. In addition, becoming a U.S. citizen is a way to demonstrate your commitment to your new country.
You may be surprised to learn how much more affordable naturalizing as a U.S. citizen can be compared to remaining a permanent resident. Use the Citizenship Cost Calculator to compare.
U.S. Citizenship Knowledge Base
- Citizenship Requirements Comparison
- N-400 Citizenship Application Checklist
- N-400, Application for Naturalization
Many of your most frequently asked questions about U.S. citizenship, naturalization and Form N-400 can be found in our N-400 knowledge base. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, contact us with a question.