Citizenship Resource Center
When you’re ready to prepare the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, CitizenPath will guide you through the application using simple instructions and explanations. Not ready yet? We can help you prepare. Download Become a U.S. Citizen – a free ebook for permanent residents to become U.S. citizens through naturalization.
Prepare USCIS Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, with simple step-by-step instructions in about 40 minutes.>
Use CitizenPath’s online application to quickly check your eligibility to naturalize as a U.S. citizen.>
- Overview of eligibility requirements for naturalization after 5 years
- Overview of eligibility requirements for naturalization after 3 years
- Overview of eligibility requirements for naturalization for U.S. service members
- Get an overview of the four fundamental ways to become a U.S. citizen
- Be aware of the continuous residence and physical presence requirements
- Learn what to expect after filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Learn what happens at the interview and materials to prepare
Benefits of U.S. Citizenship
The Constitution and laws of the United States give many rights to both citizens and non-citizens living in the United States. However, some rights are only for citizens, such as:
- Voting. Only U.S. citizens can vote in Federal elections. Most States also restrict the right to vote, in most elections, to U.S. citizens.
- Bringing family members to the United States. Citizens generally get priority when petitioning to bring family members permanently to this country.
- Obtaining citizenship for children born abroad. In most cases, a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen is automatically a U.S. citizen.
- Traveling with a U.S. passport. A U.S. passport allows you to get assistance from the U.S. government when overseas.
- Becoming eligible for Federal jobs. Most jobs with government agencies require U.S. citizenship.
- Becoming an elected official. Many elected offices in this country require U.S. citizenship.
- Showing your patriotism. In addition, becoming a U.S. citizen is a way to demonstrate your commitment to your new country.
You may be surprised to learn how much more affordable naturalizing as a U.S. citizen can be compared to remaining a permanent resident. Use the Citizenship Cost Calculator to compare.
U.S. Citizenship Knowledge Base
- Citizenship Requirements Comparison
- N-400 Citizenship Application Checklist
- N-400, Application for Naturalization
Many of your most frequently asked questions about U.S. citizenship, naturalization and Form N-400 can be found in our N-400 knowledge base. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, contact us with a question.
U.S. Citizenship & Naturalization News
Additional U.S. Citizenship Resources
Read more about N-400, Application for Naturalization
Watch a video about N-400, Application for Naturalization
USCIS Web Page for Citizenship Through Naturalization
N-400 Citizenship Application Checklist
Expedited U.S. Citizenship for Military Personnel and Families
USCIS Guide to Naturalization
Information on Dual Citizenship
Study Materials for the U.S. Citizenship Test