1. Home
  2. Learning Center
  3. General Immigration Questions
  4. How do I get a fee waiver for USCIS forms?

How do I get a fee waiver for USCIS forms?

Requesting a Fee Waiver for USCIS FormsUSCIS recognizes that not all people can afford the fees for filing immigration forms. A fee waiver is available for certain USCIS forms. Guidelines for requesting a fee waiver have been established so that filers with the greatest need receive this benefit.

Some naturalization applicants may also qualify for a reduced fee on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, when applying for U.S. citizenship.

USCIS Fee Waiver Eligibility

To be eligible for a fee waiver, one of the following must be met:

  • You, your spouse, or the head of household living with you, are currently receiving a means-tested benefit.
  • Your household income is at or below the 150% poverty level at the time you file. Check the current poverty levels for this year on Form I-912P, HHS Poverty Guidelines for Fee Waiver Requests.
  • You are experiencing a financial hardship that prevents you from paying the filing fee, including unexpected medical bills or emergencies.

An extensive explanation of each of these points is available on the USCIS Fee Waiver page.

Additionally, the form for which you are requesting a fee waiver must be included on a list of eligible forms. USCIS does not offer a waiver for all forms. Review the list in the Special Instructions section of the Form I-912 page to determine if the application you are preparing is eligible for a fee waiver.

RECOMMENDED: List of USCIS Filing Fees

Mistakes on USCIS forms can cause costly delays or a denial.
Prepare your application correctly and affordably with CitizenPath. The attorney-reviewed software guides you through immigration forms and provides help to answer questions like this one. And personalized filing instructions help you to submit the application today knowing that you did everything right! No credit card or signup required to get started. Try it before you buy it >>

Requesting a Fee Waiver from USCIS

To request a fee waiver, you should file Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver. USCIS will accept a written request, but Form I-912 will provide you the guidelines and structure for the request. File Form I-912 with the form for which you are requesting a fee waiver. At this time, you must file the paper form.

Reduced Fee for N-400

Individuals with a low income may qualify for a reduced fee when applying to naturalize as a U.S. citizen with Form N-400. You may request a reduced filing fee for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, if your documented annual household income is greater than 150 percent but not more than 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines at the time you file.

If you qualify for a reduced filing fee, file Form I-942, Request for Reduced Fee. When filing Form N-400, you must submit the reduce fee ($320) and the biometrics fee ($85) for the N-400 along with your I-942.

RECOMMENDED: How to Get U.S. Citizenship at a Reduced Cost

Source: USCIS