Green Card Renewal Application Overview

Replace/Renew Green Card

Green Card Renewal Application

In the current environment, individuals who appear foreign-born are increasingly being asked for proof of status. Even U.S. citizens and permanent residents are at risk of detention if they don’t have identification. In fact, permanent residents are required by law to carry valid, unexpired proof of permanent resident status. Permanent residents with an expired (or expiring within six months) card, should generally submit a green card renewal application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as soon as possible.

If you’ve been a permanent resident for at least five years (or a permanent resident while married to a U.S. citizen for the last three years), you may be able to skip the green card renewal application and proceed to U.S. citizenship. Over your life time, you’ll save money by avoiding the green card renewal fee and have the security that comes with citizenship. See if you meet the requirements to naturalize as a U.S. citizen.

How to Renew a Green Card

If you’re not eligible or not quite ready for U.S. citizenship, you must keep your card maintained.

The green card renewal application is formally known as USCIS Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Most applicants must file Form I-90 and a $540 filing fee with USCIS. (A fee waiver may be available for certain individuals that have received a means-test benefit or have an income at or below 150% of the poverty level.)

You may access the application and instructions directly from or use CitizenPath was designed by immigration attorneys as a low-cost way to prepare forms correctly. It’s for do-it-yourselfers who want to reassurance they’re doing everything right. Learn more about CitizenPath’s renewal service >>

You’ll also need to submit a photocopy of your existing card with the application. Depending on your answers on Form I-90, you may need to submit additional supporting documents. If you’re preparing your I-90 with CitizenPath, you’ll receive specific guidance on supporting documents, how to organize your green card renewal application package, and where to mail it.

Reasons Not to File a Green Card Renewal Application

Not everyone with an expired or expiring green card should file Form I-90. Only permanent residents with a 10-year green card should file Form I-90. Additionally, individuals outside the United States may have other complications.

Conditional Green Card

If you recently obtained your green card through marriage or through certain financial investments in the U.S., you may have a 2-year conditional green card. Do not file Form I-90 to renew this type of card. You likely need to remove the conditions on residence first.

Expired Card While Outside the United States

If you’re outside the United States and realize your card has expired, you may be able to return to the U.S. without any extra steps. Generally, you may board a U.S.-bound flight with an expired green card as long as you’ve been outside the United States for less than one year. Customs and Border Protection allows airlines to board travelers with expired green cards. However, we highly recommend that you contact your airline to confirm that the carrier’s policy does not prevent you from boarding. Upon return to the U.S., you can submit the green card renewal application.

If your absence from the United States has exceeded one year, you have likely abandoned your permanent resident status. This is a serious problem. Contact an immigration attorney to evaluate if a returning resident visa may be available for your situation.

My Card Expired Years Ago

At CitizenPath, we often hear from anxious customers who are worried that their card has been expired for a long time. The good news is that there is no penalty for an expired green card. There is no extra fee that you have to pay. Even if the card has already been expired for 10 years, the solution is to file a green card renewal application.

In fact, you don’t lose permanent resident status when a card expires. Your status stays intact, but your proof of that status is expired.

RECOMMENDED: Expired Green Card Creates 5 Big Problems

Green Card Renewal Timeline

It’s currently taking approximately 10 months for most permanent residents to get a new card after submitting the green card renewal application. USCIS now processes all I-90 applications at the Potomac Service Center.

This time line may concern you. (You must not submit your renewal application more than six months before the expiration date, but it takes about 10 months to get a new card.) When you attend your biometrics appointment, USCIS will place a sticker on your card that extends its validity for another 12 months. This should cover your needs until your new card arrives. The expired card with sticker can be used like any other valid green card, as long as the sticker is valid.

For a more detailed look at what happens after filing Form I-90, see the I-90 processing time line.

Renewing a Green Card After an Arrest

If you have any arrest, criminal offense (misdemeanor or felony), or past immigration violation, we always recommend that you speak to an immigration attorney before filing a green card renewal application. This information will likely be discovered during a routine background check.

The way that immigration law treats certain offenses can change over time. What’s more, the current administration has given USCIS more latitude to deny applications. A minor state crime may be viewed more seriously in an immigration context. Some crimes are deportable.

About CitizenPath

CitizenPath provides simple, affordable, step-by-step guidance through USCIS immigration applications. Individuals, attorneys and non-profits use the service on desktop or mobile device to prepare immigration forms accurately, avoiding costly delays. CitizenPath allows users to try the service for free and provides a 100% money-back guarantee that USCIS will approve the application or petition. We provide support for the Citizenship Application (Form N-400), Green Card Renewal (Form I-90), and several other USCIS forms.

Source: USCIS

Related Posts