K-1 Visa Interview Checklist: How to Prepare and What to Take to the Appointment

Apply for Green Card

K-1 Visa Interview Checklist

Although the K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa, the interview and requirements are slightly different that typical nonimmigrant visas. A K-1 fiancé visa typically leads to permanent immigration to the United States. Therefore, the fiancé must meet some of the requirements of an immigrant visa. Our K-1 visa interview checklist will help you prepare for this important day.

In fact, CitizenPath helps you prepare the K-1 Visa Petition Package so that everything is submitted correctly. Our software makes it simple to prepare Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, and you'll receive a customized checklist of supporting documents to submit with it. This ensures smooth processing and peace of mind while you await approval. Then, use the K-1 visa interview checklist below to get prepared for your consular appointment.

Before the Interview

Well before the embassy schedules an interview, the U.S. citizen sponsor initiates the process by filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Upon approval, USCIS forwards your case to the National Visa Center, a central hub for coordinating cases with U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. The NVC will instruct the foreign national beneficiary to submit the visa application through the U.S. State Department website.

In preparing for the interview, K-1 applicants will need to schedule and complete a medical examination performed by an authorized panel physician. You will be provided instructions regarding medical examinations from the U.S. embassy or consulate where you will apply for your visa, including information on authorized panel physicians.

Who Should Attend the K-1 Visa Interview

The foreign national who is applying for the K-1 visa – as well as any K-2 children included on the same I-129F petition – should attend the K-1 visa interview. Typically, the U.S. citizen sponsor is not allowed to attend. However, some U.S. embassies or consulates may allow the U.S. sponsor to attend. Check with the U.S. embassy near you for specific rules about K-1 visa interviews.

Consular officials at the U.S. embassy or consulate generally live in that country. They also speak the local language and understand local culture. So you can rest assured that you'll be understood.

K-1 Visa Interview Checklist: What to Take to Your Interview

Attend your K-1 fiancé visa interview with all of the petitions, approvals and supporting documents from your case. This includes documents from the U.S. citizen sponsor (fiancé). You won’t need most of these items. But having them could help avoid delays if the document is needed.

When you attend the K-1 visa interview, it’s recommended that you take the following documents with you:

  • DS-160 Confirmation

    You (and any eligible children applying for K-2 visas) must submit Form DS-160 electronically on the U.S. State Department website. Print the confirmation page that shows you have successfully completed Form DS-160 and take it to the interview.

  • Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé

    A complete photocopy of the K-1 fiancé visa petition (Form I-129F) that the U.S. citizen petitioner filed with USCIS. This should include original copies of all supporting documents submitted in connection with Form I-129F.

  • Form I-797, Notice of Action (petition approval notice)

    A photocopy of the USCIS letter than approved the I-129F petition.

  • Valid passport

    The passport should have a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S. (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions).

  • Medical Examination

    The K-1 beneficiary’s exam results (and optional vaccinations) should be inside an unopened envelope (provided by the physician), unless the results were sent directly to the consulate.

  • Form I-134, Declaration of Financial Support

    An original Form I-134 signed by the U.S. citizen petitioner in black ink and all supporting documents to be submitted with the declaration. Typical documents include a copy of the U.S. citizen petitioner’s most recent federal tax return and paycheck stubs.

  • Passport-style photos

    Submit two passport-style color photos of yourself taken within 30 days of attending the interview. The photo should:

    • Be 2” x 2” in size
    • Maintain head height of 1” to 1 3/8” from top of hair to bottom of chin
    • Maintain eye height between 1 1/8” to 1 3/8” from bottom of photo
    • Have bare head unless you are wearing a headdress as required by a religious order of which you are a member (face must be visible)
    • Have a white to off-white background
    • Be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish
    • Not be mounted or retouched

    Write your name and birth date lightly in pencil on the back of each photo.

  • Birth certificate

    An original full-form birth certificate. Generally, an acceptable birth certificate must be issued by the appropriate local government agency or civil authority, be in full-form (and not an excerpt or short-form).

  • Divorce or death certificate of any previous spouse

    If either you or your U.S. citizen sponsor were previously married, you must submit evidence to prove the legal termination of the prior marriage(s). Evidence of termination of previous marriages may include a divorce decree, annulment, or death certificate issued by a civil authority. Take original copies of the relevant documents.

  • Police clearance certificate

    A police clearance certificate from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for six months or more since age 16. (Police certificates are also required for any K-2 children age 16 or older.)

  • Evidence of valid relationship with the petitioner

    An updated statement of your intent to marry and proof that you have a valid relationship. If you used CitizenPath to prepare Form I-129F, update your K-1 declaration. Include recent pictures together, emails, phone bills, and even wedding arrangements to prove the relationship is still ongoing.

  • Payment of fees

    By the time of the interview, you have likely paid all fees associated with the I-129F petition, DS-160 and medical exam. These are the most significant K-1 related costs.

Review the instructions that you receive from the U.S. embassy or consulate. The documents requested may vary slightly.

Documents in foreign languages, other than the language of the country in which the interview takes place, should be translated. Original documents and translations will be returned. In many cases, consular officials may not request some of the items on this K-1 visa interview checklist. Our position is that it is better to attend the interview prepared. If a document is needed and you do not have it, your visa could be significantly delayed.

The K-1 visa interview checklist includes a significant number of documents. Organize them in a way that you can easily find them during the K-1 interview. If the consular officer requests a document, you’ll need to produce it quickly.

K-1 Interview Questions

Although it’s not on the K-1 visa interview checklist, getting ready for the interview questions is another important component of preparation. When it comes to visas sponsored by fiancés or spouses, consular officials dive deep into your personal history with the individual. They want to know that it’s a real marriage.

Don't overthink the interview. Generally, it's best to answer honestly and share your experience. If you feel as though there is something in your history or background that you cannot share, that's a good sign you should speak to an immigration attorney before attending the interview.

If you want to help the consular officer appreciate the genuineness of your relationship, share experiences with your fiancé's family and friends or talk about your fiancé's time with your family and friends. This may include a holiday or special event. Experiences like this demonstrate that you have a deeper relationship than just a long-distance chat.

Staying in the U.S. After the K-1 Entry

The K-1 visa permits the foreign national to travel to the United States and marry their U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. Once married, the foreign national spouse may apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident (green card holder).

While adjustment of status isn't a part of your K-1 interview, it is something to think about. What preparations are you making to immigrate permanently to the United States? Your future plans may come up in the interview. These are signs that you're serious about marriage and becoming a permanent resident of the United States.

About CitizenPath

CitizenPath provides simple, affordable, step-by-step guidance through USCIS immigration applications. Individuals, attorneys and non-profits use the service on desktop or mobile device to prepare immigration forms accurately, avoiding costly delays. CitizenPath allows users to try the service for free and provides a 100% money-back guarantee that USCIS will approve the application or petition. We provide support for the K-1 Visa Petition Package (Form I-129F), Non-immigrant Support Package (Form I-134), Adjustment of Status Package (Form I-485), and several other immigration services.

Want more immigration tips and how-to information for your family?

Sign up for CitizenPath’s FREE immigration newsletter and

SAVE 10%

on our immigration services

Related Posts