Tag Archives: N-565

Citizenship document replacement and Form N-565 posts in the CitizenPath immigration blog.

Certificate of Naturalization Replacement Process

certificate of naturalization replacement processUpon naturalizing as a U.S. citizen at an oath ceremony, new citizens are presented with a Certificate of Naturalization. This is your proof of U.S. citizenship for the purpose of obtaining a U.S. passport and other benefits. If your certificate has been lost, stolen, destroyed, or misprinted with an error, you may need to replace it. Additionally, if you’ve had a legal change in your name or gender, you may need to start the Certificate of Naturalization replacement process.

Although replacing a Certificate of Naturalization is a fairly straight forward process, minor mistakes of oversights can easily derail an application.

Continue reading

U.S. Taxes and Immigration Consequences

U.S. Taxes and Immigration ConsequencesFor immigrants arriving to the United States, the American tax system can be a very new and confusing concept. In fact, the U.S. tax system is so complex that most natural-born Americans have difficulty filing each year. As a general rule, U.S. tax law applies to you if you live in the United States or spend a significant amount of time here.

In the United States everyone with income above certain levels is expected to file a tax return. That’s not true in all countries around the world. In many countries, the government withholds taxes from paychecks, and the individual never has to directly file an income tax return. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the U.S. agency responsible for collecting taxes.

Whether you are a lawful permanent resident or an undocumented immigrant, it’s important that you get a basic understanding of your tax filing obligations. Continue reading