How long does it take to get a fiancé visa?

How long does it take to get a fiancé visa?The K-1 fiancé visa may be granted to the foreign fiancé of a U.S. citizen, allowing that individual to enter the United States for the purpose of marriage.

Once the foreign fiancé enters the United States, he or she can marry the U.S. citizen and then, if desired, apply for a green card through adjustment of status.

Steps for Obtaining a Fiancé Visa

The process for obtaining a fiancé visa begins with the U.S. citizen filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Upon approval, the case moves to the National Visa Center for coordination with the U.S. embassy or consulate in the beneficiary’s country of residence. Finally, the foreign fiancé can apply for a K-1 through the embassy or consulate followed by an interview.

Mistakes on your I-129F petition can cause costly delays or a denial.
Prepare Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, correctly and affordably with CitizenPath. The attorney-reviewed software guides you through the petition and provides help to answer questions like this one. And personalized filing instructions help you to file your petition today knowing that you did everything right! No credit card or signup required to get started. Try it before you buy it >>

How Long It Take to Get a Fiancé Visa

The exact K-1 fiancé processing times can vary, but many applicants are able to enter the United States within 6 to 9 months. There are multiple steps and the process is handled by multiple agencies from (USCIS) to the National Visa Center to the U.S. Department of State. Therefore, submitting a well-prepared I-129F petition from the start is essential. The form must be accurate and the supporting documents must adequately meet the requirements.

RECOMMENDED: K-1 Processing Time Line

Adjustment of Status Through a K-1 Visa Entry

The marriage does not automatically result in a green card or legal immigration status in the United States. The foreign national must submit an adjustment of status application to apply for permanent residence (green card). The adjustment of status process includes a package of several forms and steps. The adjustment process will take several more months. However, during the wait for a green card, applicants can also get work authorization and travel authorization.

CitizenPath helps couples navigate the entire process from the initial petition to green card. Our affordable, online process makes it easy to prepare forms and get it right. Designed by immigration attorneys, we can guarantee the success of our service. Contact us with your questions >>

RECOMMENDED: Adjustment of Status Through a K-1 Visa Entry

Source: USCIS