Obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad


getting a consular report of birth abroad for your childA Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States (Form FS-240) is an official document certifying acquisition of citizenship for a child born outside of the United States.

Also known as a CRBA, the document provides the same evidence of citizenship as a United States passport, a Certificate of Naturalization, or a Certificate of Citizenship.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen is only issued to a child who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and who is generally under the age of 18 at the time of the application.

Procedure for Documenting a Birth Abroad

Gather Evidence

Start by collecting evidence of the child’s birth. You may also need to gather documents that prove the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship, marriage (if applicable), and previous physical presence in the United States. (Learn more in Acquisition of Citizenship for Children.)

If the parents are unmarried and the father is a citizen and the mother a non-citizen, the consular officer usually requires that the father sign an affidavit saying that he is the child’s biological father and that he will support the child financially. Additional evidence such as divorce decrees from previous marriages or blood tests may also be required.

Prepare the Application

Complete an Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States (Form DS-2029). Do not sign the form until directed to do so.

Contact Your Nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate

The child’s parent or legal guardian should report his or her birth as soon as possible at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be issued as an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship.

Receive the CRBA

Once the consular officer approves the application, the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) can be issued. The child’s parents may choose to apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA.

The U.S. embassy or consulate will provide one original copy of an eligible child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen. But you may replace, amend or request multiple copies of a CRBA at any time.

consular report of birth abroad sample

Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a CRBA and/or a U.S. passport for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States. By law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

Not Eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Children who acquired U.S. citizenship or U.S. nationality at birth in certain territories of the United States during relevant time periods are not eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. They are not eligible because such persons are not considered to have been born abroad.

Individuals born in Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Swains Island, The Panama Canal Zone (before October 1, 1979), The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (after January 8, 1978, 8PM EST), and The Philippines (before July 4, 1946) may establish acquisition of U.S. citizenship or non-citizen nationality, based upon the applicable agreement or statute, by producing their birth certificate issued from the local Vital Records Office along with any other evidence required to establish acquisition.

Obtaining Proof of U.S. Citizenship When Over 18

Individuals born abroad who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth but who are now over the age of 18 (and so not eligible for a CRBA) may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship to document U.S. citizenship using Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship. Alternatively, the individual may apply for a U.S. passport.

About CitizenPath

Designed by attorneys, CitizenPath is the online service that makes immigration forms simple. The website provides simple, step-by-step guidance through USCIS applications and petitions. The low-cost service helps to simplify the process by explaining each question and providing alerts if your answer to a question could be a problem. Most people do not need a lawyer to prepare USCIS forms, but many need a little assistance. That’s where CitizenPath can help. CitizenPath also guarantees that USCIS will accept your application. CitizenPath provides support for the Citizenship Application (Form N-400), Green Card Replacement (Form I-90), and several other USCIS forms.