my green card was lost stolen

My Green Card was Lost or Stolen

My Green Card was Lost or Stolen

my green card was lost stolen

If your green card has been lost or stolen, you’ll need to replace it immediately. You are legally required to carry your green card with you if you are age 18 or older.

If you believe the green card was stolen, immediately report it to USCIS. You should also contact your local police department to file a report. This will serve as an important record if someone attempts to fraudulently use your card.

Quick Tip: If you are a conditional permanent resident through marriage to a U.S. citizen, don’t try to replace your green card if it expires within the next six months. Instead, file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 90 days before your card expires.

How to Replace a Lost/Stolen Green Card

To replace your lost or stolen green card, you will need to file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

When you file Form I-90 with USCIS, you’ll need to submit a photocopy of both sides of your green card. If you do not have a copy, submit a copy of a government-issued form of identification that contains your name, date of birth, photograph and signature. Acceptable examples include a passport, driver’s license or military identification document. There is also a $450 USCIS filing fee payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

CitizenPath helps you prepare Form I-90 by providing step-by-step instructions that save you time and avoid costly delays. CitizenPath even provides alerts if you answer a question in a way that might be a problem. It only takes about 15 minutes, and you’ll be able to file Form I-90 to replace your lost/stolen green card today. Plus, we guarantee that USCIS will accept your application.


Check Eligibility
No signup required.

~1 min

We are going to ask you a few questions to make sure you are preparing the correct form.


Prepare Form I-90
There’s no obligation to purchase.

~15 mins

We will guide you through the USCIS I-90 application using simple, everyday language and step-by-step instructions.


Download, Print and File
Pay only $77 for preparation services

~5 mins

Once you are finished and completely satisfied, you’ll be able to print your I-90 and customized filing instructions.

Replace Green Card

More Questions about Replacing a Lost/Stolen Green Card

What if I need to travel outside the United States??

Your green card is an essential identification card for granting you re-entry to the U.S. after traveling abroad. Without it, you could be denied entry. If your green card is lost or stolen prior to a trip abroad, you should do two important things:

  • Replace Your Lost or Stolen Green Card

    You should immediately file Form I-90 to replace your lost/stolen green card. Using CitizenPath, Form I-90 takes about 15 minutes to prepare. Within 1-2 weeks after filing Form I-90, USCIS will send you a confirmation letter called Form I-797, Notice of Action. Form I-797 provides proof that you filed an application to replace your lost/stolen green card.

  • Get a Temporary Proof of Permanent Resident Stamp
    i-551 permanent resident stamp green card was lost

    Even after you have filed Form I-90 to replace your green card, it may take 4-5 months to receive a new one. If you are planning a trip outside the United States, you will need to contact your local USCIS office and schedule an appointment to receive a “temporary permanent resident stamp” (sometimes called an I-551 stamp) in your passport. (Image of sample stamp to the right.) This stamp will provide evidence of your permanent resident status in the United States and is general valid for one year. In addition to carrying your stamped passport when traveling, we recommend that you also carry a copy of the Form I-797, Notice of Action. Don’t have a passport? Try contacting the local consulate here in the United States to request a passport. For example, a Mexican national would contact the Mexican consulate in the U.S. to request a passport.) In many cases, this can be provided within a week.

What if my green card was lost or stolen while outside the United States? ?

If you are outside the United States when your green card is stolen, you will need to obtain a travel document (carrier documentation) to board a transportation carrier (e.g. airline) bound for the United States. This carrier documentation (boarding foil in your passport or a transportation letter) can be obtained by preparing Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation), and filing it at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Learn more about the process by reading Lost Green Card Abroad and Returning to the U.S. Upon returning to the U.S., you will be required to replace your lost or stolen green card by using Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

Will I have to pay to replace a lost or stolen green card? ?

Yes, USCIS charges a fee of $450 ($365 filing fee + $85 biometrics fee) when anyone replaces a green card. The check or money order must be payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security and is mailed to USCIS with the Form I-90. This is separate from the $77 fee paid to CitizenPath for preparation of Form I-90.


Don’t delay. USCIS will increase the fee to replace a green card to $540 on December 23, 2016.

How long will it take to get a new green card? ?

Replacing a green card generally takes about 4-5 months. However, processing times will vary based upon your application and the USCIS office where you file. Within approximately 2 weeks of filing Form I-90, you will receive a letter from USCIS known as Form I-797, Notice of Action. This letter will contain a receipt number. With this receipt number, you can look up the status of your case at My Case Status.

My Social Security card was also lost or stolen. How can I get it replaced? ?

Replacing a Social Security card is relatively simple, and it’s free. To learn more go to