Green Card Renewal

Green Cards

Green Card Center

The green card, officially known as a permanent resident card, is proof that its holder is a lawful permanent resident that has been granted immigration benefits, which include permission to live and accept employment in the United States. Permanent residents 18 years of age or older in the U.S. must carry their valid green card at all times.

renewal calculator for green cardsGreen card renewal is a simple process that a permanent resident can typically complete on his/her own. Most green cards expire every ten years and should be renewed six months before the expiration date. More on When to Renew a Green Card. If that date has passed, the card holder will not lose permanent resident status, but he/she should apply for a green card renewal as soon as possible. Use Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Residence Card.

Green Card Knowledge Base

Many of your most frequently asked questions about replacing and renewing a green card can be found in our Form I-90 knowledge base. Questions about removing the conditions on residence can be found in the Form I-751 knowledge base. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, contact us with a question.

Green Card Related News

cost of citizenship for new americans Cost of Citizenship is Less Than You Think - One of the common reasons permanent residents don’t apply for U.S. citizenship – cost. It presently costs $725 to file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. That’s a lot of money. And the cost of citizenship will only get more expensive in the future as U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) raises fees. There are approximately … Continue reading Cost of Citizenship is Less Than You Think
what is a reentry permit Risks of International Green Card Travel - 5 Green Card Travel Tips to Avoid Re-Entry Problems and Permanent Residence Abandonment As a lawful permanent resident of the United States, your obligations for maintaining your immigration status in the United States are fairly simple. You need to notify USCIS within 10 days of moving by using Form AR-11 and renew your green card … Continue reading Risks of International Green Card Travel
I-485 Interview I-485 Interview Preparation - What to expect at your Adjustment of Status Interview First of all, don’t get anxious just because USCIS sent you an appointment notice for an I-485 interview. Almost everyone must go through an interview during the adjustment of status process. In fact, there’s reason to get excited. The I-485 interview is likely the last step … Continue reading I-485 Interview Preparation
Renewing Green Card After 2 Years Renewing Green Card After 2 Years - If you’ve obtained a 2-year green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen or through a financial investment, you are a conditional resident of the United States. While the rights and privileges of a conditional resident are very similar to a lawful permanent resident (10-year green card holder), the statuses are very different. Renewing green … Continue reading Renewing Green Card After 2 Years
90 Day Rule When Adjusting Status The New 90-Day Rule and Adjusting Status - How the new 90-day rule (and elimination of the 30/60 day rule) may affect your adjustment of status to permanent resident In September 2017, the U.S. Department of State made a significant change to its Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM). This had a dramatic effect on the way immigration officers evaluate inadmissibility in certain cases. And … Continue reading The New 90-Day Rule and Adjusting Status
Green Card Renewal From OUtside the United States Green Card Renewal from Outside the U.S. - You are outside the United States. Perhaps you’re visiting family or traveling on business, and you realize that your green card is expiring, already expired or even missing. You already know that having valid, unexpired proof of permanent resident status is critical for reentry at a U.S. port of entry. What to do? First, it’s … Continue reading Green Card Renewal from Outside the U.S.

Additional Green Card Resources

Form I-90 Knowledge Base
Form I-751 Knowledge Base
Green Card Related Articles
USCIS Green Card Pages
Form I-90 on USCIS Website
Form I-751 on USCIS Website