Advance Parole, Reentry Permits and Travel Documents (Form I-131)

  1. Home
  2. Learning Center
  3. Advance Parole, Reentry Permits and Travel Documents (Form I-131)

What is an Advance Parole Document?

An Advance Parole Document is a form of temporary travel authorization used to reenter the United States after traveling abroad. Certain non-U.S. citizens use advance parole in lieu of a visa when reentering the United States. Continue reading →

What is a Reentry Permit?

A Reentry Permit is used by lawful permanent residents or conditional permanent residents who plan to travel outside the United States for more than one year, but less than two years. Continue reading →

What is a Refugee Travel Document?

A Refugee Travel Document is a travel document (very similar to a passport) issued to a refugee or asylee that allows him or her to travel abroad and return to the United States. Continue reading →

How long is a Reentry Permit valid?

Generally, a Reentry Permit issued to a permanent resident is valid for two years from the date of issuance. However, Reentry Permit validity can vary for certain permanent residents with extensive time outside the country and conditional residents. Continue reading →

Can I travel immediately after I apply for a Reentry Permit?

As a permanent resident of the United States you may travel abroad for periods of less than one year and reenter the U.S. with just a valid, unexpired green card. However, if you need to apply for a Reentry Permit, there are some things you should know about travel after filing the Reentry Permit application. Continue reading →

What is “disposition” on Form I-131?

If you have ever been issued a Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document, you will need to explain what happened to it before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will issue a new one. Continue reading →