U.S. citizenship through naturalization currently costs $680, and you will never have to pay another USCIS fee again. What’s more, your permanent resident children under the age of 18 will automatically become U.S. citizens when you naturalize. There is no additional cost.
The added benefits of U.S. citizenship include:
- Family Reunification U.S. citizens can help overseas family members immigrate more quickly to the United States. The relatives of citizens are given priority by USCIS (as compared to relatives of permanent residents).
- The Right to Vote Direct participation in democratic elections is one of the most important privileges that this country offers its citizens. Only U.S. citizens have the right to vote in federal elections and to be candidates in most elections.
- Additional Job Opportunities The federal government is one of the biggest employers in the world and offers many job opportunities in a wide range of industries. However, the vast majority of federal jobs are available only to U.S. citizens.
- International Protection The United States protects its citizens abroad through its embassies and consulates. The U.S. government assists citizens who are victims of crimes overseas and provides aid to U.S. citizens abroad in the case of international disasters or emergencies.
- More Student Aid The federal government has different types of financial assistance for students, including scholarships and grants that are available exclusively for U.S. citizens.
- Additional Government Benefits You may qualify for other government benefits that are only available to U.S. citizens.
Learn more about your eligibility for naturalization in our Citizenship Resource Center.
USCIS fee estimates are based on current rate of $450 per renewal plus an estimated 3% inflation rate. The expected lifetime is based on the average of 78 years. These cost figures do not include additional fees that may be necessary to replace a lost/stolen/damaged green card or legal fees associated with protecting permanent resident status.