1. Home
  2. Learning Center
  3. Affidavit of Support (Form I-864)
  4. Do I need to submit an original I-864 for each relative that is immigrating?

Do I need to submit an original I-864 for each relative that is immigrating?

Generally, you must submit an original I-864 for each intending immigrant you are sponsoring. However, you may submit photocopies if you are sponsoring more than one intending immigrant listed on the same Form I-864, Affidavit of Support.

Original I-864 Affidavits for Separate Petitions

As a general rule, you’ll need a separately prepared, original Form I-864 if the intending immigrant is the principal immigrant on Form I-130. Separate Affidavits of Support are required for intending immigrants for whom different Form I-130 family-based petitions were filed.

For instance, if you are sponsoring both parents, each will need an original Affidavit of Support and accompanying documentation since you were required to submit separate Form I-130 visa petitions for each parent. Each Form I-864 should be prepared separately for each intending immigrant and have it’s own supporting documentation.

Mistakes on your Form I-864 Affidavit of Support can cause costly delays or a denial.
Prepare your I-864 correctly and affordably with CitizenPath. The attorney-reviewed software guides you through the affidavit and provides help to answer questions like this one. And personalized filing instructions help you to submit the affidavit today knowing that you did everything right! No credit card or signup required to get started. Try it before you buy it >>

Photocopies for Derivatives

On the other hand, derivative beneficiaries do not need separately prepared Affidavits of Support. You can use a photocopy of the principal immigrant’s Form I-864.

For example, if you are sponsoring your brother, you’ll need to prepare a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, for him. Your brother has a spouse and children that were listed on the same I-130 petition. You’ve also listed his spouse and children on Form I-864 as family members who intend to immigrate at the same time (or within six months) as your brother. The spouse and children are considered derivative beneficiaries. They derive their ability to immigrate through the principal immigrant (your brother). In this case, you only need to provide a photocopy of the original I-864 for each derivative. You do not need to provide copies of the supporting documents.

Source: USCIS