1. Home
  2. Learning Center
  3. Replacing Citizenship or Naturalization Certificate (N-565)
  4. What can I do if my naturalization certificate has incorrect information?

What can I do if my naturalization certificate has incorrect information?

Mistakes happen. Sometimes incorrect information is printed on citizenship or naturalization certificate. Regardless if it was your fault or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you may need to replace your citizenship or naturalization certificate.

U.S. citizens may replace a citizenship certificate or naturalization certificate with Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document. The application may be filed for several reasons but does have some limitations.

USCIS Typographical Error

If the error on a certificate was due to a typographical or clerical error on the part of the government, you’ll need to submit the original certificate and provide proof of the correct information. For example, N-565 applications related to an incorrect birth date should include a photocopy of the birth certificate as evidence of the correct birth date. There is no fee required if you select this reason.

Mistakes on your N-565 application can cause costly delays or a denial.
Prepare your N-565 correctly and affordably with CitizenPath. The attorney-reviewed software guides you through the application and provides help to answer questions like this one. And personalized filing instructions help you to file your application today knowing that you did everything right! No credit card or signup required to get started. Try it before you buy it >>

Not USCIS Fault

If the error on the certificate was due to your own fault or a change, you’ll need to file Form N-565 with a fee.
A name change request requires:

  • Marriage or divorce certificate; or
  • Certified copy of a court order.

A date of birth change requires:

  • Certified copy of a court order; or
  • State-issued document that evidences birth date

A gender change requires:

  • Certified copy of a court order; or
  • Certified copy of an amended birth certificate; or
  • Medical certification by a licensed physician; or
  • Other official documentation recognizing the new gender by a U.S. state, local jurisdiction, or foreign state (i.e. passport or driver’s license).

Please note that USCIS cannot make any changes to an incorrect date of birth on a Naturalization Certificate if you reported an incorrect date on your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and then later swore to the facts of your application by signing Part 15. Signature at Interview.

RECOMMENDED: Certificate of Naturalization Replacement Process

Source: USCIS