How do I find travel records for the N-400 application?

Applicants preparing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, must list each trip outside the United States (in excess of 24 hours). Part 9 of the N-400 application includes a table to list these individual trips.

Form N-400, Part 9 includes a section to list travel records


Generally, you can find your travel history information inside your official passport. Simply review the passport page for date stamps from the various trips. But, in some cases, you may not have your passport or are missing known records.

Personal Travel Records

You may be able to use your personal records to reconstruct travel history. In the absence of “official records” it’s still your duty to estimate the dates of your travel to the best of your ability. Check with relatives you may have visited, review credit card statements, or try to recover old travel records from airline or transportation company frequently flyer statements.

Mistakes on your N-400 application can cause costly delays or a denial.
Prepare your N-400 correctly and affordably with CitizenPath. The attorney-reviewed software guides you through the application and provides help to answer questions like this one. And personalized filing instructions help you to file your application today knowing that you did everything right! No credit card or signup required to get started. Try it before you buy it >>

FOIA Request for Travel Records

If you are unable to locate your travel history records through the methods listed above, you can submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Generally, personal FOIA requests are free (if less than 100 pages of photocopies). Be sure to limit your request to the previous five years. You only need five years of history for the purposes of the N-400 application. A more extensive search will take longer and may even result in a photocopy fee (up to $25). A FOIA request will generally take several weeks.

No Records

In some instances, you may have traveled across a U.S. border without any records. This can happen at some land border crossings where you were “waved” across by CBP officer. The CBP office did not provide any stamps or documentation. It’s still your responsibility to record these trips on Form N-400 to the best of your ability.

Source: USCIS