Tag Archives: acquisition of citizenship

Acquisition of citizenship posts in the CitizenPath immigration blog.

Obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

getting a consular report of birth abroad for your childA Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States (Form FS-240) is an official document certifying acquisition of citizenship for a child born outside of the United States.

Also known as a CRBA, the document provides the same evidence of citizenship as a United States passport, a Certificate of Naturalization, or a Certificate of Citizenship.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen is only issued to a child who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and who is generally under the age of 18 at the time of the application. Continue reading

Acquisition of Citizenship for Children

Acquisition of Citizenship for ChildrenThere are fundamentally two ways that a child (under the age of 18) can automatically become a U.S. citizen at birth. It’s common knowledge that a child born on United States soil automatically becomes a U.S. citizen. But a child born outside of the United States can also acquire U.S. citizenship at birth through a U.S. citizen parent. This is known as acquisition of citizenship for children.

A child born outside of the United States generally becomes a U.S. citizenship at birth if that child has at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen, and the U.S. citizen parent meets certain residence or physical presence requirements in the United States prior to the person’s birth. For purposes of this article, the United States includes the 50 states and the territories of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Continue reading