Mexican TNs No Longer Need USCIS Approval

Mexican nationals have previously been required to get pre-clearance from USCIS prior to applying for their Mexican TN visa. This has added cost and time to the TN process for Mexicans. Recently however the U.S. streamlined the process for Mexican TN workers. Mexican TN workers can now directly apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for their visa.

The Mexican national should now complete the electronic DS-160 as the first step and include a detailed U.S. employment letter. The letter should confirm that the offered position is one of the NAFTA occupations listed on NAFTA Chapter 16, Annex 1603, Appendix 1603.d.1. Your letter should also include:

  • Job Title
  • Qualifying profession in which the applicant will be engaging (from the NAFTA Professional Job Series List)
  • Detailed description of proposed employment
  • Location of proposed employment
  • Full or Part-time (specify no. of hours per week)
  • Proposed wages per hour/week
  • Justification for employee with applicant’s profession and duration of proposed employment (explain justification)
  • Type of licensure required for proposed employment (note: compliance enforcement is the responsibility of local or state authority and lack of licensure is not a basis for visa refusal)

Here is the list of qualified healthcare occupations:

Job TitleQualification
DentistD.D.S., D.M.D., Doctor en Odontologia or Doctor en Cirugia Dental; or state/provincial license
DietitianBaccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Canada)/Medical Technologist (Mexico and the United States)Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate, and three years experience
NutritionistBaccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree
Occupational TherapistBaccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license
PharmacistBaccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license
Physician (teaching or research only)M.D. or Doctor en Medicina; or state/provincial license
Physiotherapist/Physical TherapistBaccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license
PsychologistState/provincial license; or Licenciatura Degree
Recreational TherapistBaccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree
Registered NurseState/provincial license; or Licenciatura Degree

See more on the USCIS website about TN NAFTA Professionals.