Immigrating to the U.S. from India

Immigrating to the U.S. from India

Immigrating from India

According to U.S. Census data, the Indian American community is one of the fastest growing ethnic groups in the U.S. and now includes over 2 million Indian immigrants. Indian Americans have one of the highest educational levels of all ethnic groups in the U.S. Almost 67 percent of all Indians have a bachelor’s or higher degree (compared to 28 percent nationally and 44 percent average for all Asian American groups). Almost 40 percent of all Indians in the United States have a master’s, doctorate or other professional degree, which is five times the national average. According to Forbes Magazine in 2009, Indian Americans are 3 percent of the nation’s engineers, 7 percent of its IT workers and 8 percent of its physicians and surgeons despite representing less than 1 percent of the U.S. population. Find more Indian immigration information at the Migration Policy Institute.

Indian Family-Based Immigration to the U.S.

Many Indians that immigrate to the United States become lawful permanent residents (green card holders) through family members that are already in the U.S. You may be eligible to get a green card if you are:

  • An immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. Family members include spouses, children, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers.
  • An immediate relative of a lawful permanent resident (green card holder). Family members include spouses and unmarried children only.
  • A member of a special category. This can include battered spouse or child (VAWA), a K nonimmigrant, a person born to a foreign diplomat in the United States, a V nonimmigrant or a widow(er) of a U.S. citizen.

In most cases family-based immigration begins with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. To learn more, visit the family-based immigrant visa page.

Employment-Based Visas

Many talented Indians have successfully immigrated to the U.S. with employment-based visas (such as EB-1, PERM, H1B, L, O, R, P & TN visas). If you have an exceptional ability, advanced degree, or are a multinational executive or manager, you may be eligible for an employment-based visa. There are several occupational categories and each category has certain requirements that must be met. Additionally, there are caps that limit the number of employment-based visas issued each year. If you would like to pursue an employment-based green card, CitizenPath recommends that you contact an experienced immigration attorney.

EB-5 Investor Visas

The EB-5 program allows investors and their family to obtain U.S permanent residency (green card) in less than a year in many cases. Some of the key features of the program include:

  • Minimum of $500,000 USD investment into a U.S business (e.g. restaurant, retail store, winery, hotel, real estate, etc.)
  • Investment can be anywhere in the U.S., no restrictions on particular state or county
  • Direct investment or invest with a regional center
  • Obtain green cards for investor and investor’s family (spouse and children under 21 years old)

If you would like to pursue an investor green card, CitizenPath recommends that you contact an experienced immigration attorney.